Windows Server 2012 R2 – Server Availability
Windows Server 2012 R2 was designed to improve availability, performance, and reliability at the single-server and multiple-server levels.
The experiences in Server Availability include the following :
- Improved NTFS availability : Install and configure large volumes that are resilient against downtime caused by potential file corruption.
- File server for scale-out application data : Deploy server applications, such as Microsoft SQL Server and Hyper-V, on continuously available file servers.
- Continuously available DHCP service : Improve network availability by using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) failover services.
- Network failure resilience : Use Load Balancing and Failover to aggregate bandwidth and maximize network reliability.
- Continuously available block storage for server applications : Create continuously available block storage for server applications by using iSCSI Transparent Failover.
- Fast and efficient file servers for server applications : Improve network and file performance by using Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) and SMB Direct.
- Network performance and availability for Windows file servers : Take advantage of all available network bandwidth by using SMB Multichannel.
- Storage spaces : Enable cost-effective and flexible storage solutions for business critical deployments.
- Offloaded data transfers : Move data quickly between storage devices by using Offloaded Data Transfer.
- Storage mobility for virtual machines : Move virtual hard disks to other locations with no downtime.
- Direct connections for virtualized workloads to Fibre Channel-based storage : Provide server applications with access to Fibre Channel-based storage directly from a guest operating system.
- Continuously available file servers for heterogeneous environments : Create continuously available Network File System (NFS) file shares by using NFS transparent failover.
- Data protection : Protect your application data by using SMB Volume Shadow Copy for remote file shares.
- Hyper-V over SMB : Enable virtual machines to reside on an SMB file shares, giving you the power to design new flexible storage solutions for your virtual or cloud infrastructure.