Cloud Computing : Skills that are required in an organization adopting Cloud Computing – Part 18
Any company that wants to adopt Cloud Computing must consider upfront investment, running operating cost, and the time to market.
Change Management Maturity Model (CMMM) supports organizations in adopting cloud computing. Assessment for the organization is necessary for realizing cloud benefits.
As cloud computing moves beyond pure hype and into the beginning of mainstream adoption, organizations want to start quickly, but they often forget to build cloud competencies first! It’s important to understand how roles and skills will change as a result of the cloud.
However, although businesses are pushing ahead with cloud computing, many of their IT department, particularly in the areas of application development and security have not been trained to work with cloud computing.
Educating staff on the key principles of virtualization and cloud computing, will ensure that your employees have the right skill set and competencies to enable the organization to make a successful transition to the cloud.
Critical success factors (CSFs) for cloud computing
- It provides increase in speed to market and new services.
- It lowers the asset investment threshold.
- It lowers switching costs via self-service.
- It lowers the innovation access barrier.
- It increases growth potential.
- It increases speed and transformation rate of change.
- It decreases access to services barriers.
An organizational assessment is necessary to have a better understanding of the current state of an organization.
The following steps are taken for an effective organization assessment :
- Articulate and emphasize the reason for change.
- Find the current state of an organization.
- Recognize the gap between future and current state.
- Anticipate and assess barriers to change.
- Make action plan to remove barriers.
Application Migration strategies
- Rehost : Re-hosting an application to cloud without making changes to its architecture or code.
- Refactor : Involves application code and configuration changes for connecting the application to new infrastructure services.
- Revise : Modifying or extending the existing code base to support legacy modernization requirements, then use rehost or refactor options for deploying to cloud.
- Rebuild : Involves rebuilding the application on a provider’s application platform. It discards code for an existing application.
- Replace : Involves discarding of an existing application or set of applications and use commercial software delivered as a service.